Monday, December 12, 2011

2012: Another Year of progress - "Goal setting"

  So after a fun, frustrating, incredible, death defying 2011, I have decided to kick off 2012 with a new blog, that will track the conquering, bone crushing, plantar hurting, side cramping, lactic pumping, rise and fall of my athletic goals. At this point in time, due to my wrist/arm surgery I am still not to a point where I can ride a bike comfortably so I am solely focusing on my running specific ambitions.
   It has been a year of ups and downs for me with my running, but all in all, I managed to set personal records in the 3k, 5k, and marathon, despite my triathlon periodization and motorcycle crash. Have to look at the positive side of things to keep my mind and my feet going forward of course. There have been numerous occasions when some of my closest friends have inspired me to really test my limits out in my 30th year. Cody broke out of no where with a 15:12/8:56 5k/3k while I was in Australia, big Adam ripped off a 2:37 in Melbourne, Billy dropped a 2:38 at Thunder Road, John Compton busted a 1:08+ half at Savannah, and Alana Hadley keeps consistently improving with her 1:16:58 HM (Footlocker Finalist as well). So these people keep pushing me to really strive for more from myself, to keep pecking away at those times.




   While in Australia, my close friend Cody Angell challenged myself and our friends to breaking the 15minute barrier in a 5000m race on the track. He kept pushing himself day in and day out and has crept closer and closer to his goals. With a stunning cast of runners at his running disposal, he intends to again break that barrier in the Australian summer track season which is now. After finishing the Savannah Rock N Roll marathon in November, I decided that I would focus solely on the shorter stuff again in 2012. That being said, I do have one BIG goal of 2012 and that is to run 14:59 in a 5000m track race this spring/summer. Choosing the track is an accurate way to create a PR, as opposed to road course which measure slightly different every time.


5000m - race length
14:59 - race time
4:49 - per mile pace
3:00 - per kilometer pace


   To some, this might be a mark that they have hit numerous times, while others may not even be able to comprehend the time. After looking at the McMillan Pace Calculator and seeing the equivalent times across the board it is quite frightening to think that this could be a possibility. 4:49 per mile, wow, that in itself would be hard for me to run solo right now I feel. Thankfully I have a good crew of people who support me in the community. TrySports supports my ambitions fully and the CRC has been a great outlet for me to use while getting back into marathon shape so quickly this year.

   Sometimes we all need a fire lit under us to really get us motivated. I often lack the motivation to get out the door on some of those early cold mornings, but hopefully some of you out there can help hold me accountable. I will need to really step up the mileage and actually plan in weekly speed sessions into my routine. It may seem and BE a long shot, but why not shoot high? It's NOT going to win me an Olympic medal even in the women's race by a long shot but hey its a barrier and I would like to say I broke it at 30 years old, a MASTER in track terms believe it or not.


   So to all of you haters out there, I know that you may think this to be a silly dream given that I need to trim off nearly 30 seconds from a PR I set over a year ago almost, thank you. You are the one's that fuel my fire and allow me to push through the hard days when I would certainly like to be laying on a coach or the bed relaxing. In order for this to happen, I am certain that I will need the guidance of a sports dietician as well as a coach to hold me accountable for my progress. To achieve this goal I will set up a series of open/collegiate running events most likely at UNCC, Duke, Raleigh Relays and Wake Forest.



   The next few weeks I will be taking things very slowly as I have just begun incorporating strength work into my routine, to become stronger all around. It is a slow process as my arm still hurts as I am barely holding myself up while attempting push ups, but it will soon come around. So here is to 2012 and goals, we all need to keep going forward with our passions despite what people think of it or even if it seems nearly impossible but you miss 100% of the shots you never take right?






No comments:

Post a Comment